sisters inc

sisters inc

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My journey



High school reminds me of the time when popularity was the only concerns for many. As I look back, I can only remember the times spent at basketball, football games and especially with the girls of Big Sister Little Sister now called Sisters Inc. I joined the club my freshman year not knowing what its outcome would be. This is the place where I met many of my peers and gained many friends. I still talk to my big sister, Tesha, occasionally and during breaks when we meet it’s like a huge reunion. I learned a lot about people and through time, I learned a lot about myself.

Now that I am college student, I look at myself in a different way. From high school to now, I started to gain confidence within myself and learned to accept me for me. My self-esteem is increasing and I am staring to look at things in a positive light. Growing as a person, I am learning to deal with my fears of not being accepted and not having friends. Even in college, the social life seems to be the hardest part for me. I never was the one to follow the crowd because normally no one has any direction. As I deal with others, I became closer to God and learned to have patience. At times I question myself as to what is right for me and how I can make a difference. Majoring in architecture gives me the chance to face my fear of failure and learn to speak up and defend myself. Even though I love doing the work, I hate for my work to be under appreciated or talked down about. At times, I take some time out of the week and make it about myself to see how I can become a better person spiritually, physically, and mentally. For me, everyday is a struggle and I take things one day at time.
Author: Jalisa Bey
King College Prep HS: Class of 2010
Tuskegee University: Class of 2014 

No comments:

Post a Comment