sisters inc

sisters inc

Friday, December 16, 2011

Tips for Living the Life of a College Student!!

Hello Sisters!
My name is Ivory Smith and I am curently a sophmore majoring in Education and just completed my third semester at Michigan State University. If you are anything like me, throughout your entire educational career the people who love and support you have been preparing you for college all your life. They give you all the tips to help you get in to college but they too often seem to leave out the most important factor, how to stay there. In this blog I will give a few basic tips on how to stay in college once you get there.
       The first thing to think about before you even enter college is finance.  Saying that college is expensive is an understatement, especially if you plan on going out of state.  Planning on how you are going to pay for schooling and consistently following up with the financial aid office are benifical steps to relieving the stresses of paying for school because believe me it can take a toll on your focus in your classes. In college studying is a must so omitting outside stressors is a positive way to stay on track with your school work.
       Another concept to consider before selecting your school is location. No matter how independent you think you might be, or how ready you are to get out of your parent"s house (especially in that last month) home sickness is nearly inevitable. After the first week of being in college on my own I realized how far away I was from home and how I took my sheltered lifestyle for granted. I was now in college and I was the only person responsible for myself. Being bombarded with all that responsibility at once without the ability to get a comforting hug from my mother when I needed it reflected in my first semester grades. Fortunatly I go to school close enough where now when I really feel the need to come home I can .  My visits home really gave me a break from school related stress so when I returned to campus I felt renewed and ready to jump back in the game.
       One of the most important tips that will definitely help you in college is to use your resources! Having trouble with math? Find a tutor! Can think of how to start that paper? Go to the writing center! Is your history class extreamly boring and overwhelming? Join a study group! Being smart isn't about your ability to do work and understand concepts on your own, its about finding the help you need when you don't in order to suceed. What makes college unique to me is that it's no longer a test of your knowledge, it's a test of your work ethic. So build your work ethic and use your resources!
       The last tip I have it to remain focused, remember your purpose and to gain consciousness. Remember why you're in college and why your degree is important for the life you want to lead. Responsibility can be overwhelming. Financial aid may be giving you the run around. Your classes may seem impossible but it is important to stay encouraged and know that you are above it all. I also mentioned that it is important to gain consciousness. We need to know that as people of color some people are not always for our success and there are systems set against us. This is evident in African Americans 43% graduation rates. So when you are in your studies don't just learn the material, be critical. Read books that aren't assigned. Learn to be a thinker and not a puppet of society.
       With these few tips my college experience has overall been a good one and graduation is surely in my near future. Good luck!


Author: Ivory Smith
King College Prep HS: Class of 2010
Michigan State University: Class of 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment